Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Evil GM

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  19:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neighbour has just driven back from Heathrow, said main roads are fine but took 2 hours because of traffic, usually takes 1 hour. I'm imagining that if we don't have any more snow the main roads will be clear by tomorrow. However, the council have not adopted my estate yet and do not grit. You just have to drive at 10 mph and accelerate in 2 nd gear rather than first to avoid wheel spin. Alternatively park the car at the bottom of the hill if you are a girl! Damon unlikely to come as he has heavy snow in London and a hairdressers car!
Go to Top of Page

StoneyAlexSleeps
Padawan

United Kingdom
145 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2010 :  09:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'm going to have to be sensible on this one and stay at home, the roads are just silly out in the villages. Its no different than last night coming home from work and I couldn't get above 5-10 miles per hour then. Sorry Guys.
Go to Top of Page

Evil GM

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2010 :  19:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
XP award 100,000 each for destroying skull and nodes.
15,000 xp for those present for roleplay and troll murder.

The party explored Zuggtomoys throne area. They utilised the throne lift system to return to the surface and then teleported back to Raven's Bluff. They explained their 9 month disappearance and their exploits to Ex-Mayor O'Kayne. He realised the threat posed and took them to the new Mayor's office. Unfortunately a pencil necked bureaucrat, the Mayor's assistant listening to their story and didn't believe a word of it. Annoyed the PC's left and went to the temple of Helm. The cleric of Helm persuaded the party to destroy the magical artefact the goldenskull. Dan had been tempted by an offer made by Iyachtu Xvim, who offer a cloak of the arch magi for goldenskull. Dan teleported off with the skull to the wizard’s guild. The wizzie's agreed to use a legend lore spell to examine the skull.

The cleric of Helm called forth his forces and ordered them to retrieve the skull at all costs and if Dan didn't return it he was to be killed if necessary.

A diplomatic stand off commenced between Helms church and the wizzie guild until Zacheria convinced Dan to handover the Skull. After a useless attempt the church of Helm then did a legend lore spell and then figured out how to destroy the skull, essentially about 100hps of damage from each element at once and a massive whack from a granite hammer. Orbis did the whacking and in the explosion
was killed. Once the temple of helm was patched up and the holes repaired Orbis was resurrected.

The PC's were invited to a feast reception in their honour in the town hall.

Moving about the city the party were then attacked by 4 giant black puddings. The paladin’s sword went boom and was destroyed. The bard unleashed a fireball into a shop. The shop had potion bottles inside and a maelstrom of magical energy vaporised the shop.

The bard was arrested and put on trial. Meanwhile he got bail and the party had a feast and were all inducted into the order of the golden rooster, Knights of the city.

The bard successfully employed his persuasive powers on the jury and got off. The party then teleported back to the Mine at Brightstone and killed some trolls playing football with their heads. They freed 100 of the Hommlett villagers and then spied on the Keep ready to infiltrate it.

Edited by - Evil GM on 20 Dec 2010 12:42:34
Go to Top of Page

Evil GM

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  10:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next session 10 am at Nick's on Monday 27 Dec earlier start due to people needing to get away.

Get in the back of the van, you're nicked son and I ain't even had me breakfast yet.
Go to Top of Page

Evil GM

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2010 :  20:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
27 December 2010
XP 25, 000 each for attendee’s. The usual bad playing of the Paladin meant he had to use characters points so he gets a half share 12,500. The other PC’s were not used.

Hedrack's Diary
Floors washed, hallways swept, sacrifices made… Spot of breakfast. Shouted at some trolls. Took a liking to one of the slave girls from Hommlett. Potion of Love later and I spent a very pleasant few hours in my bed chambers. It’s a shame the nodes have been destroyed it made the bodies so easy to get rid of. Ah well the trolls enjoyed the fresh meat.

Moander spoke to me, the Duke’s of Brightstone had returned to their keep. The complex was put on full alert and I summoned Shenshock and my assassins. Shenshock teleported us in. The Keep was ablaze, those idiots were trying to destroy their own property! In desperation they were hiding like cowards down the mine. They had managed to fight off some orcs – about all they are capable of...

Right, to flush them out I sent in my undead champion with some support. Later investigation showed that the Duke’s had escaped no doubt terrified and gibbering like the children they are. That fool mage Carlina had failed to secure the Keep and the pesky maggots had rifled through her belongings – well that should be a lesson to her. No harm done, with the funds coming in from the mine I can replace the undead and then some.

Carlina has irked me, she was slow to respond to these threats and a beating has focused her mind. She has sealed the mine entrance and fully protected it against further incursion. At least one of the Dukes forces were in the keep and did not escape through the earth. All of my loyal troops are scouring the lands to find the intruders. I have the assassination dagger ready and they will not be raised.

Edited by - Evil GM on 28 Dec 2010 20:46:47
Go to Top of Page

Big Bad John
Jedi Knight

South Sandwich Islands
226 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2010 :  10:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The question was asked who could be available for a game on Sunday 2nd.
Can do!

Big Bad John.

"That was then. This is now. And you're toast."

At this point the GM screamed 'can we stop the roleplaying and get on with the hack and slash please?'. The whole party sat stunned, in awe, for several seconds (apart from Paul, who made a knob joke).
Go to Top of Page

StoneyAlexSleeps
Padawan

United Kingdom
145 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2011 :  00:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shall be there.
Go to Top of Page

Jester
Jedi Knight

210 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2011 :  12:33:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be there
Go to Top of Page

Big Bad John
Jedi Knight

South Sandwich Islands
226 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  12:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crash, Bang, Wallop, what a session!

Thanks to all for a truly memorable 13-hour epic in which the evil forces quite literally went from being the hunters to being the hunted!

I think only Nick, Jester or Chris could do this one full justice as they had the best overview, but I will attempt the writeup if asked.

Apologies to Mel if we kept her awake (Blame Helm for his noisy Turn Wannabe!).

Big Bad John.

At this point the GM screamed 'can we stop the roleplaying and get on with the hack and slash please?'. The whole party sat stunned, in awe, for several seconds (apart from Paul, who made a knob joke).
Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  20:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was there a little surprise? :)

Pee Po Belly Bum Drawers.
Go to Top of Page

Evil GM

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  21:00:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 Jan 2011
XP award for attendee’s = 100, 000
Special additional escape award for Chris = 150,000

At the Keep the forces of Elemental Evil regrouped and investigated what had happened. Most of the party – minus the bard and ranger had escaped by plane shifting to a chaotic good plane, here centaurs and unicorns pranced and frolicked in virgin forests while the party took a well-earned break dipping their toes in a babbling brook while sunbathing on cliffs over looking rolling vistas.

The bard and ranger meanwhile ran for their lives dragging the looted chest between them and headed on foot to the south. They took a chance and smashed open the chest to discover the contents. Notably inside were some potions (destroyed on opening), and a box with a letter and two articles ---
Small black lacquered box containing a letter and two items.

The letter read as follows - The following must be in purest distillate form with no contaminants. We will provide the other elements, toxins and apparatus. Only our mages and clerics have the expertise to undertake this demanding task. The ingredients must be mixed in precise amounts and in the correct order. Throughout the ceremony both arcane and godly powers will be exercised to effect the transformation. All will be for nought if the individual elements are not of the highest purity. The Full Moon immediately following the Autumn Equinox on 21st of Elientis will provide the correct star alignment, you must have the wyrm Dracos electricus fully developed in his resplendent glory and power before this date. The following items must be provided according to the stipulations as discussed. As for your economic requirements they are acceptable.
Vampire blood 1 pint (Present)
Potion of invulnerability (Present)
Potion of evil dragon control
Crushed blue dragon scale 2 pounds
Blood (1 quart of blood from a dead unicorn yearling killed by wyvern venom).
Venom (1 pint or more, drawn from a phase spider less than 30 days previous).

Namirrha.

Additionally a small deck of ivory cards in a velvet bag was found. The bard realised that this was a deck of cards, potent random magic that could either prove a bane or boon for the drawer of the cards. The possessor had to state how many cards he would draw. The bard being a happy go lucky type (lunatic gambler and general adrenaline junkie) said he would draw most of the 22 cards.

Not letting anything as inconvenient as an army of evil hot on his trail, get in the way the bard started drawing cards with gay abandon. Generally the red cards were a boon whilst the black cards caused massive wincing and tears. Much to everyone’s delight the majority of cards drawn were very very black.

The GM now briefed the players. The bard and ranger had to keep on the run for 8 hours before the mirror of travel could be used to scry them and the rest of the party could rescue them. If the bard and ranger escaped they would get an xp award, this would be half of the experience points necessary for them to go from their lowest xp score at current level to the xp necessary for their next level. So a chunk of xp equalling half a level.

Hedrack then briefed his troops, the good news was that the bad guys were to be played by the rest of the group. If they successfully captured the bard or ranger they would get the same xp award for their own characters and to add to the drama if captured the bard and ranger would be slain and stabbed with an assassination dagger. Nothing short of a wish can bring you back from that. Faced with the daunting prospect of having to hunt down their fellow role players and perhaps permanently kill their characters, the players quickly broke down in tears... yeah right. Dan rubbed his hands together at the thought of the massive xp bonus coming.
Dan was in charge of the Dragon and air elementalist.
John the assassins, the trolls and worgs.
Alex the Ogre Magi.

Feral the bard was pulling out cards like crazy. His intelligence dropped by 2, his charisma was raised by 4, he gained a keep and a follower - a knight on a war horse, who appeared. he was a loyal and trusted (too trusting however) henchman, and then a minor death appeared to battle the bard.

One might consider that with the prospect of a 15000 lbs dragon capable of destroying an army now searching for them a good reason to get running, but by now the bards gambling addiction was in full sway and he wanted to draw another clutch of cards, while the ranger urged him to fekkin get moving. A magical weapon was drawn and a card meaning the bard lost all of his wealth, a planar enemy a Balor was glimpsed by the bard an enemy he must destroy or try doing so – the Balor felt the same way…

Fortunately the pair now had a horse, unfortunately that saddle was only big enough for two so the bard turned to the courageous young knight who worshipped his leader and the bard convinced hom to take a jog to the east. He was to strip out of his armour so he could run faster, probably fst enough to out run the dragon - er.... Not happy with just sending an innocent to his certain doom the heroic pair now force fed a potion of haste to the warhorse and climbed into the saddle.

At the same time 2 miles north at Brightstone Keep Dan flew his dragon in a circular search pattern, Alex’s invisible Ogres then went along the road towards Hommlett while John used the worgs to pick up the scent of the fleeing pair.

The ranger spurred the horse to greater speed with his special ability while the potion of haste doubled that movement rate. The horse was ripping along the hills at 80 mph heading south towards the forest. The dragon spotted the fast moving speck in the distance and something shiny – the knight getting his plate mail off. The dragon swooped down passing the knight and lighting him up on the pass. The knight was hit with a million volts and exploded.

The dragon then tried to keep up with the horse which was rapidly disappearing to the south. On reaching the forest to the south, the ranger missed his horse proficiency check. The horse and riders all tumbled off amongst rocks, tree’s, cacti, thorn bushes, poison ivy and a skunk colony. The horse was reduced to half hps.

The adventurous pair then had a brain wave and force fed another potion down the bemused war horse’s neck – a potion of heroism. They then both consumed a potion of invulnerability each and climbed back on their sturdy mount. They then kept the speed down to throw the dragon off and once they were beneath the tree canopy they let the horse have it’s head again. The result was messy, the horse literally exploded on the next horse riding proficiency check and became a bouncing mass of horse flesh across the terrain.

Bard and ranger brushed themselves down, said a few words of thanks to their trusted knight and his mount and headed into the forest. The ranger used his move without trace spell, drunk a potion of strength and carried the bard on his back deeper into the forest without leaving any trail that could be detected.

On stopping the bard got the itch and drew some more cards. He had to battle another death and then pulled another keep card – resulting in an upgrade to his existing keep. His last card was pulled and the bard disappeared. Oops, something bad had happened. The bard had pulled an imprisonment card. The GM did the natural thing and had the bard transported to a cell in the Temple of Elemental Evil with a grinning Hedrack holding out the thumb screws. The bard failed his constitution check and bleated out to the evil cleric everything and anything he wanted to know. The bard became a play thing to 4 Hill Giants, a dozen trolls and an army of lusty goblins.

The ranger no longer hampered by his risk taking buddy used anti tracking to lay down false trails and managed to escape. The party scryed the Bard – no trace was found of him. He was in an unscryable area in the temple. They then scryed the ranger, got a lock and teleported him out back to Raven’s Bluff.

A spot of shopping following and then a commune spell with two gods before the right questions indicated that the bard was a captive in the temple and was in imminent danger. The party mounted a rescue operation and teleported in with serious intent. The Vampire snuck in followed by the rest of thhe party.

A battle commenced with an exchange of magics and then the party closed to fight. Not satisfied with losing only one character point last time for Graham, Jester sent in the Paladin. The Paladin was immediately encased in a massive block of ice when he ran forwards through some glyphs. Orbis then smashed the ice over the next couple of rounds allowing Zacheria to bust free. Dan fired in long range shots, the ranger fired in various magical arrows and the vampire went forwards taking on the baddies.

The bard screamed and cried in his cell deeper in the complex while Hedrack drew an assassination dagger and told him he was as good as dead. Then both sets of protagonists threw the same initiative and something unusual happened – incidentally saving the bard. Moander aka Zuggtumoy appeared in the complex right in front of the party. A power dispel wave rolled out knocking out all non-permanent magic. Hedrack ran off to his goddess leaving the bard chained up. Sensing the imbalance Helm appeared and banished the demoness back to her abyssal plane and the battle was rejoined.

A now buffed Hedrack joined the fray exchanging blows with the Paladin and Orbis. As Jester put it, the battle between the Paladin and Hedrack was like two armoured battleships attacking one another. Both had full stoneskins up and so it became a battle of attrition. Both had -10 AC and extremely low THACO's.

Hedrack threw down his mini fortess full of undead and Dan fired up a wall of force just in time to trap the most powerful undead behind this wall. Dan then blasted Hedrack with 5 magic missiles stripping off his remaining stoneskins and a crit from the Paladin caused him to flee.

He used word of recall to go back to his personal quarters and then went to stab the bard. The vampire ran to rescue his buddy. Hedrack was hasted, free actioned, had true seeing, stoneskin, aid etc on. The stoneskin and haste had run out and he feared he was going to be killed.

Fortunately in a safe room he had a teleportation device ready to take him to safety. The vampire ran in and Hedrack being an evil priest successfully controlled her, commanding her to kill the bard, Hedrack then ran to his safe room and teleported away to safety. Once gone the vamp was no longer under Hedrack’s control and rather shame faced she spat out the bards blood – who had just lost 2 levels.

The party have bested the temple but the main players are still on the run and will be more dangerous than ever…
The vampire has drunk from a fellow party member and likes the taste.
The Paladin lost another character point but the bard gained 4 charisma points and a floating magical keep so that must be alright and Graham is bound to understand.

I’ll work out a list of magical items and there will be magically trapped chests to contend with.

Next session on Sunday at noon and then that will be it for a few weeks with a holiday coming up.
Go to Top of Page

Jester
Jedi Knight

210 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  22:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really good marathon length session (is a 2 a.m. finish a record?), and a heroic write-up to boot. Cheers Nick, cheers all.
Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  22:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds awesome! Wish I'd been well enough to come. Still hocking up lumps of lung.

Go to Top of Page

Big Bad John
Jedi Knight

South Sandwich Islands
226 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  00:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A writeup worthy of the session - thanks for all your hard work, Nick!

Damn, can't make this Sunday - might be able to show after 6pm, but not before. (Event booked weeks ago, wasn't expecting another session so soon anyway.)

Notes: The vampire also got Shenshock the evil mage, we will make a priority of securing his corpse, possibly interrogating his spirit, then ensuring he can't be raised (incinerate, grind to dust, scatter in the sewers of Raven's Bluff suggested).

Hedrack has been spanked to within an inch of his life, lost another harvest of minions and undead and his Daeron's Instant Fortress, and by the time the third level's been secured and sanitised no doubt a few more resources. Oh, and Zuggtomoy ran away again. Does anyone else think Hedrack's next diary entry may be a tad less smug?

Thought: The recipe for Dracolich a l'Orange seems like an opportunity to break something and cause Hedrack to fall out with the Cult, another of his allies - unfortunately the most irreplaceable element is probably the dragon himself, who is rapidly growing bigger and stronger with serial Hasting. As Carlina likes her morning ride, perhaps an ambush on just the two of them?

Big Bad John.

Edited by - Big Bad John on 05 Jan 2011 00:46:27
Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  21:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today Nick proved why he's known as evil gm. Death. Destruction. Donuts.

Go to Top of Page

RabidXeno
Jedi wannabe

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  10:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Black puddings, white puddings and dun puddings, but I don't recall any donuts. Did I miss something lol.
Go to Top of Page

wilsh
God's assistant

127 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  18:54:19  Show Profile  Visit wilsh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Quick summary, feel free to embellish:

The heroic party started off by sending the tank and half the healers of the party back to the city, then proceeded to round up the denizens of the dungeon, and search for loot. A dodgy old geezer was found in the storeroom, and a little magic soon determined he was a Doppleganger (TM WotC 1999). The party addressed their concerns about such a dodgy creature being on the loose by Geasing it to faithfully serve the party until their death (or its death, it's all a bit hazy).

Once the explored bit of the dungeon had been cleared, the party moved into the next bit of the dungeon. Some elemental portals were discovered, and it was determined that throwing (struggling) trolls onto them made them dissapear. Even tying a rope to them didn't help. This was noted as a useful waste disposal mechanism (and I could use one at home. Putting nappies straight into the elemental plane of fire would be excellent).

A room with a curtain was discovered. A captured troll was scared of the curtain, and it was found (by throwing aforementioned troll into curtain) that it ate people. A few combat spells later it crumpled to the floor, and turned out to be some form of fungi curtain...

Further exploring found some chests with wands, goodies and gold. Then a circular room was found with a round shimmering curtain of light in the centre. Oh, some trolls were killed setting off some wards on the way in. A further troll was sent into the curtain of light, and reported a throne was in there. After sending it in a second time, a load of oozes, jellies, slimes, Thyconids, Ascomids etc dropped in around the party.

Combat ensued. The new (wild) mage was oozed and dissolved. He'll be a furious mage when he comes back and finds his magical items were dissolved. The new ranger was attacked, and soon was ranging across the floor in puddle form. The new assassin/thief cunningly climbed 5 feet up a wall, then fell off and was oozed. Lisos was dissolved (but the bard did get a foot back, hurrah!). Yashimo was making good progress killing the nasties, as was the Vampire. Unfortunately the troll popped out of the curtain, but had been turned into a shambling mound. Yashimo then proceeded to heroically stab himself for double maximum damage, and shortly thereafter fell down. The Vampire and the Bard recovered the party (as was left) and lengthy healing, res's ensued.

Whilst the party was healing (Orbis dropped in to help), the base in the city was attacked by Spetnaz Vampires. They killed (level drained?) Dans Mage and the Waaaladin. They then killed off all the villagers, took the loot, and the Paladins body.

All in all, not a shining success.

Possible lead: One of the maps recovered had notes about someone called something like Voryx. There was a note saying 'Yoryx - graveyard' on front, pointing to the city. Might be a good place to look for the Waladin.
Go to Top of Page

Jester
Jedi Knight

210 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  19:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most amusing. Great eco-recycling of a Not The Nine O'Clock News gag featuring Gerald the Gorilla - it never gets old!
Go to Top of Page

StoneyAlexSleeps
Padawan

United Kingdom
145 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  21:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dans alchemist didn't die. He was just horribly level drained and forced to flee with his staff to the plain of elysium.
Go to Top of Page

RabidXeno
Jedi wannabe

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  08:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the Wild Mage fortunately didn't lose his gear, although as a result of the res he is going to undergo a sex change once I have spoken to Nick -)
Go to Top of Page

Evil GM

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2011 :  18:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
XP award 15 000

The PC's used the temple of helm to track down Zacheria in the Graveyard of Raven's Bluff.
They searched and getting an indication of his magical equipment went into a crypt and down into the rotten depths below.
They came across a deserted ancient Dwarven Temple, dedicated to Clanggin Silverbeard.

Unfortunately a pack of vampires had set themselves up in the temple, defiling the rooms and chambers with vampiric creatures.

The party have thus far met one vampire and dispatched a vampiric abomination found in a former purification chamber.

They have yet to rescue the paladin and have a pack of vampires the deal with.

I am planning the nest session for Saturday 26th Feb.
Go to Top of Page

RabidXeno
Jedi wannabe

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  11:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately I am going to have to bow out of this campaign for a few weeks as having just got two puppies join the household they are taking a lot of looking after and I can't leave them for more than a couple of hours at a time.
Hopefully my wife will be able to get some weekend days off soon, but that won't be until after March.
Go to Top of Page

StoneyAlexSleeps
Padawan

United Kingdom
145 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  22:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know how that is.
Go to Top of Page

Evil GM

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  08:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
26 Feb 2011
50, 000 xp for attendee’s
Bard and Bushi Level.

The session starts with the party finding a secret door. This is tactically hugely important. Unknown at that point Hedrack has hired the vampires to destroy the party. Kidnapping the paladin is just bait for the trap to lure the party into a killing zone. Finding the secret door bypasses a dangerous corridor full of dust of dispelling, a powder that negates magic for 1d10 turns.

The party go through the secret door which was undiscovered by the vampires when they took over this former dwarven temple. This allows access to the administration and living area of the temple, incidentally where 4 of the vamps have set up their coffins.
The bard makes a successful listen check and overhears Hedrack giving instructions to a group of trolls and vampires. The party have emerged behind an ambush and so prepare to ambush the ambushers.

A Djinni is summoned and told to cast an illusion of the area between the two groups, this allows the PC’s to close the distance without being seen. An aerial servant is summoned and told to retrieve the Paladin unharmed. The Bushi with a silence pebble in his pocket charges down the corridor to attack. The bard and mage fire off fireballs to arrive just before the Bushi.

The two fireballs turn the corridor into an inferno. The vamps and Hedrack have protection from fire up, the trolls are not so fortunate and are incinerated.
The archer fires in an arrow at Hedrack who turns just as the Bushi slams in with his sword.

Hedrack and Yashimo stand toe to toe, exchanging blows and knocking off stoneskins. Meanwhile the vamps regroup and join the fray whilst the rest of the party slam in arrows or magic missiles. The aerial servant smashes down doors in search of the Paladin and uncovers vampire coffins in the chambers running off the corridor.

One of the vampires emerges as the most ancient and powerful, he is wielding a 2 handed +4 evil aligned weapon. Another of the vamps has cloak of fear in effect and as she attacks the Bushi, Yash fails his save and runs off in fear of the horrific image that enters his mind. Hedrack having lost his stone skins and being hit my multiple magic missiles retreats around the corner and heals up.

The vampires press forwards towards the party and are met halfway down the corridor by the cleric, Orbis and the thief, Shal a Din. The cleric turns, scaring off two of the vamps. The thief badly wounds the remaining lesser vamp and the most powerful vamp engages Orbis with it’s sword.
The archer continues to fire in silver tipped arrows and the mages use combinations of magical ranged attacks. Hedrack reappears and tries to slay Orbis with a slay living spell but Orbis makes a save.

After a hard won battle the vamps not turned are defeated and turn to gas. Hedrack knowing that his minions have been defeated shouts profanities at the party and uses word of recall to teleport out of danger.
The party then slay the remaining vampires and start exploring the area, looking for the paladin. As the bushi is separated from the party and decides he’s going to kill off the vampires recovering in their coffins. He sets off 4 glyphs and gets reduced to 1 hp. The two vamps turned by the cleric enter the room and kill Yash.

The party follows the gas form of the vamp leader, it retreats into a pit full of the remains of hundreds of victims, drained of blood or tortured. Meanwhile unbeknown to everyone the ghost of a victim tortured by the vamps starts trying to magically jar members of the party. The first success is against the bard. The ghosts life force enters Feral’s body, while Feral’s soul enters a gem in the bottom of the pit.

The ghost seeks to escape in Ferals body but also to kill the vamps. It is played by jester and remains with the party to try to kill some vamps. Dan’s mage makes use of his staff to move limbs and body parts in the pit by telekinesis to find any goodies.
Yashimo has engaged the vamps and died, the party hear the thunder clap of his crazy sword being drawn during this battle and run to his corpse. As they continue exploring they see the turned vamps running off.

The party now enters the trapped corridor that contains the dust of dispelling. Two whirlwind creatures rotate filling the corridor with the dust that negates magical weapons, armour and active spells for many turns. Now the unbuffed party are attacked by the vamps. The thief is badly mauled but escapes when Orbis drives off the undead.
Finally the party manages to best the vamps. The coffins are forced open and the vamps dispatched with stakes and beheading. Horrible purple black leeches are found in the vampires bodies and killed.

People realise there is something up with the bard and a fight ensues as the ghost tries to escape in Feral’s body. After nearly killing the thief by stabbing him in the eye the ghost is forced to inhabit this body because Dan’s mage lightning bolts Feral from point blank range. The thief is taken over by the ghost and Feral’s body now becomes the vessel of the thief’s soul. The ghost is killed by the mage and drops to the floor dead. So Feral’s body is inhabited by the thef, while Ferals body is dead while his soul is locked in the gem.
The paladin is returned to the party by the aerial servant. The party then tracks the lead vampire to his coffin where he is dispatched.

Tons of treasure is found and Hedrack’s plans to destroy the party are foiled.

Get in the back of the van, you're nicked son and I ain't even had me breakfast yet.

Edited by - Evil GM on 27 Feb 2011 19:55:24
Go to Top of Page

Jester
Jedi Knight

210 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  09:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Super stuff, short but plenty of action. On the downside multiple party members are either de-levelled, dead, or sitting in magic jars. I guess the start of the next session will be working out the most economical way of putting that little lot right...
Go to Top of Page

wilsh
God's assistant

127 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  17:12:53  Show Profile  Visit wilsh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was getting quite worried at the start, when we managed to get the jump on the Vampires, disarm(ish) the traps, and silence Hedrack. Lucky we managed to get back on track after a round or two of combat...
Go to Top of Page

StoneyAlexSleeps
Padawan

United Kingdom
145 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  11:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like an awesome session sorry i missed it.
Go to Top of Page

Evil GM

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  18:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next session Sunday 13th March at 1pm, please not change of time

Go to Top of Page

Evil GM

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  20:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
13th March 2011, Hedrack meets his end...
Xp award 75, 000 for attendee’s

The PC’s now fully explore the ruined Dwarven temple and take the remaining vampire loot. The dead and mind swapped characters are returned to normal and while the Drow vampire pops out for some night air there is a knock on the door. A vampire hunter introduces himself, it’s Gabriel Van Helsing. Van Helsing is a planar traveller who’s life long mission is the eradication of the vampiric pestilence. Apparently some whole worlds have been lost to the plague and he has been following a nest of vampires that has now arrived on this world.

The disease is described by Van Helsing. The host becomes infected by a blood borne, single parasitic life form, a psionic leech that takes up residence in the chest cavity, near the spine of the host. The host becomes undead in the process. The leech is semi intelligent and needs sustenance – psychic terror and blood. By feeding the host provides both and the leech bestows greater strength, speed and intelligence to the host.

As time goes on the leech eventually always becomes ascendant and being a creature of purist evil it drives the host to commit increasing vile acts of terror, torture and wickedness.
Yashimo fails his compulsive honesty check and blurts out that the PC’s interest is because one of the party is a vampire. Van Helsing warns the party there is but one course of action, the stake, the beheading and the fire. Van Helsing hints at another “cure”, all of the psionic leeches are linked to the negative energy plane, if one could travel to that plane and destroy the vampire god, all the leeches would wither and die and the hosts if they survived this process would be free of the evil taint.

The vamp Drow returns to the house as Van Helsing is leaving. The PC’s meanwhile decide to try to take stock. Using his crystal ball, Dan’s mage does some scrying. Firstly, he looks at Keep at Brightstone, it is still in the clutches of the forces there. Hedrack is scryed – he’s in a subterranean chamber and is in conference with something, probably his god. The party sell off magical items to raise some cash and go shopping.

The second scrying of Hedrack reveals he is having an audience with Ebinezer Skold. The secretary of Lady Mayor Thoeden, who pointedly ignored the PC’s when they told him the risk posed by the Temple of Elemental Evil. It appears that the conspiracy stretches further than the PC’s anticipated. Dan now scrys the traitor, Skold, and watches him return to the surface from Hedrack’s base. They discover his whereabouts; he is in the ancient Dwarven city beneath Raven’s Bluff itself.

The party buffs and heads to the entrance to Hedrack’s base. Disarming some traps on the way they enter the ancient Dwarven city. Further traps are found that the party are not confident about disarming so Dan uses passwall to form a new entranceway deeper into the complex bypassing the traps.

As they inch their way closer to Hedrack, they come across the first of his guardians. A bone golem protected by stonekin. Once every three rounds the bone golem lets out a fearsome screech, two saves are needed, if one is failed the character is frozen with fear for 2 – 12 rounds, if both saves are failed the character dies. Characters were frozen and then attacked by the golem, another soon joined it and began to attack front line party members.

Things were looking bad, character points were spent to avoid death and Yashimo, Feral, the thief, the vampire and Dan’s mage were all frozen. Orbis, the cleric, tried a few spells then got it right with a remove fear allowing the vamp and mage to try to break free from their predicament. The Vamp succeeded.

The rest of the party were down the corridor getting bashed by the golems. As the fight continued Hedrack then fired in deadly spells from the back. He was silenced and rushed forward and the party realised he was hasted. Hedrack then joined the melee. The mages tried to polymorph Hedrack, who either made his saves or spent his remaining character points.

Reduced to his last few stoneskins, Hedrack made psionic contact with Zuggtumoy and called on her aid. She infused his body with her fungus. Hedrack then became highly contagious and spread his disease in spores. Anyone breathing them in was at risk of death and at the very least of choking. Hedrack became a rotten fungus filled shell and tried to kill Feral with strikes, each one of which risked injecting Feral with fearsome disease.

Dan’s mage finally got a successful polymorph spell off and turned Hedrack into a haggis like rodent.
Not content with this the good aligned party took one of Hedrack’s assassination daggers – meant for them, and teased the little rodent with it, before stabbing him the chest killing him. Poor Hedrack was now banished to the fuge plane to become a demon after several decades of torture by imps, devils and other nasties.

Hedracks possessions were obtained and his correspondence which outlines somewhat the wider schemes that he’s been involved in. These will be posted.

Edited by - Evil GM on 14 Mar 2011 21:02:36
Go to Top of Page

Evil GM

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  21:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEDRACK PERSONAL GEAR

Potion of Climbing
Potion of Extra-healing
Potion of Invisibility
Potion of Polymorph Self

Bracelet of shield, charges 20
Ring of deathblock charges 5 (will absorb any attack that requires a save vs death).

Wand of Fear charges 65

Hammer of thunderbolts This appears to be a large, extra-heavy hammer. A character less than 6 feet tall and with Strength less than 18/01 will find it too unbalanced to wield properly in combat. However, a character of sufficient Strength and size will find that the hammer functions with a +3 bonus and gains double damage dice on any hit.

Scroll of Protection from Elementals, cure crit wounds, dispel magic, silence.

Full armor, plate mail +3
Shield, body +3
Gauntlets of Ogre Power
Ioun Stone, incandescent blue adds 1 point to Wis. (18 max.)
Evil Amulet of Free Action

Money
* Copper Pieces x4
* Gold Pieces x11,430
* Silver Pieces x8

Clerical spell components value of 12, 000 gps

Portable hole containing library, allows bonus checks to
+4 elemental plane lore, +4 elemental magic, +3 demonic religion, +3 Xvim religion and church, + 3 herbalism, +3 astrology, +3 astronomy, +3 poison, +3 necromantic theory, +2 ancient languages, +2 ancient history, +2 spellcraft, +2 torture, +2 religion, +2 outer planes, +2 demonology, +2 occult theory, +2 alchemy,

Mirror of travel
4 assassination daggers

Go to Top of Page

Jester
Jedi Knight

210 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  07:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooo nice loot *rolls on gauntlets* 20, success!
Go to Top of Page

Big Bad John
Jedi Knight

South Sandwich Islands
226 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  08:37:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay! Hedrack gets his just desserts!
Yay! We got the mirror back!

Yet again Orbis spent a fight against Hedrack neutralising his minions without getting to the man himself- just one (and not the strongest!) of his several reasons why he wanted to deal the final blow.

Obviously very interested in the Ioun Stone.
Is it going to be important to know any specifics of the spell components? I'm guessing a few of those may be quite significant - a tuning fork or two for instance?

Also interested in the shield unless someone else has a greater need.

Need to think about the assassination daggers - definite dilemma there.

Big Bad John.

Go to Top of Page

wilsh
God's assistant

127 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  16:27:46  Show Profile  Visit wilsh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd also like to put a claim on the shield, willing to give up my existing body shield +2 for it (happy to gift it back to party to put towards costs of buying a +3 one for Orbis later, if that helps).

Out of interest, could the crap bard have used his countersong ability to stop the shrieks of the golems causing problems?
Go to Top of Page

Evil GM

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  16:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the bard could have prevented all that trouble, guess he wanted to make it a challenge

Counter Song: Another powerful use of story, song, or tale when voiced by a bard is that of counter song. This is the intricate art of canceling the effects of hostile sound, whether it be songs, chants, wails, or even commands and suggestions from magical spells. In order to sing the proper counter song or chant the proper counter poem, a bard must concentrate intensely. He may perform no additional actions other than a slow (half speed) walk. If he is struck by an attack or fails a saving throw, his attempt is ruined. The exertion is such that only one counter song may be attempted per encounter or battle.

Success of the counter song is realized only if the bard rolls a successful saving throw vs. spell. If this is successful, the hostile sounds have no effects within 30 feet of the bard. If the saving throw fails, the bard's attempt is fruitless and the hostile sounds have their standard effects (applicable saving throws and other defenses still apply).
Counter singing does not prevent hostile spellcasters from reading scrolls, using magical item command words, or casting spells (even spells with verbal components). Counter singing does prevent all other hostile sounds from functioning, including spell effects that require the caster to speak (e.g., command, quest, suggestion, tongues, etc.).
Go to Top of Page

Big Bad John
Jedi Knight

South Sandwich Islands
226 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  23:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yashimo's need for the shield is surely greater than Orbis', so he can have it.

As invaluable as the assasination dagger has been in this instance, there are cases to be made for keeping the things safe in case of similar instances in future, and conversely for destroying them before we lose control of them and find them used for ill again, maybe even against captured PCs (and we've lost control of plenty of important things at various points in our careers). Not destroying the things carries definite risks, and as tempting as it is to keep them for the next evil priest, this option feels uncomfortably like a truckload of "Good Intention" branded paving slabs.

Three plans suggest themselves.

One, either we destroy them or ask the Temple of Helm to do so.

Two, we can consider keeping them available for cautious future use, as an instrument of just execution, but this is risky.

Three, we simply hand/sell them to the temple of a suitable god of justice (Helm? Tyr?) and let them judge what to do with them.

Big Bad John.

Go to Top of Page

Big Bad John
Jedi Knight

South Sandwich Islands
226 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  23:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just noticed this line in an earlier post-

"Dan had been tempted by an offer made by Iyachtu Xvim, who offer a cloak of the arch magi for goldenskull."

Xvim - that's the name of Hedrack's spare god. So the Alchemist almost sold the skull back to the Temple?!?

Suggests that Hedrack had influence within the Mage's guild (not too surprising, but still an unpleasant thought).

Big Bad John.

Go to Top of Page

dilligaff
Padawan

Saint Kitts and Nevis
148 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  10:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Xvim offered me 'anything'. I thought that might stretched to include destroying himself, I then further thought that I don't trust him to do anything he didn't feel like doing (especially once in possession of the skull). My interest in the skull was purely academic after that (and the fact it could do funky things).

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, nukes and proximity fused missiles.

When the pin is pulled, Mr Grenade is not our friend.
Go to Top of Page

StoneyAlexSleeps
Padawan

United Kingdom
145 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  11:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd quite like the gauntlets if noone objects and of course *cough* i can take care of destorying the evil broach of free action.
Go to Top of Page

Jester
Jedi Knight

210 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  13:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Countersong countershmong. Bards are so awesome that I didn't want to take all the glory, get the loot and win the girl. There's no "I" in team you know.

*Wanders off wondering how convincing that might have sounded*

I'm in for the gloves too.

Edited by - Jester on 17 Mar 2011 11:54:13
Go to Top of Page

Archer
Jedi wannabe

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  22:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mmm Gauntlets of Ogre power

Rolls on gauntlets (cheats) a natural 21!

Maybe we should run an arm wrestling competition or something, the weakest wins. Or a rota I'll use them on Mondays and Tuesdays?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snorgs Pit of Putrification © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.36 sec. Snitz Forums 2000